Popeye was right all along! Recent studies have shown that diets abundant in nitrate-rich vegetables such as spinach are very effective in improving cardiovascular health and improving athletic performance. Check out this recipe to get a full dose of nitrate rich spinach and several other vegetables that will no doubt help fuel your next workout!
- Kumato tomatoes
- Bell peppers
- Prego mushroom spaghetti sauce
- Cheese: mozzarella, parmesan, romano, cheddar, ricotta, cottage
- Seasonings: Italian, nature seasoning, red pepper flakes, basil, herbs de provence, garlic
- Thinly slice zucchini, tomatoes, mushrooms and bell peppers lengthwise.
- Lightly season zucchini. Spray pan and bake zucchini slices at 350° until softened.
- Mix approximately ½c cottage cheese with approximately 1c ricotta cheese and season.
- Foil and spray pan. Pour small amount of spaghetti sauce over bottom of pan and add layer of spinach.
- Layer zucchini, cottage and ricotta cheese mixture, mushrooms, bell peppers, spinach, tomatoes, spaghetti sauce and shredded cheese. Repeat layers.